Wednesday, January 2, 2019

Like Her Great, Great Grandmother

Since before I was born, My grandmother wore her hair long, but braided up.  Real long.  To the point that she would wind the braid into a coil around the top of her head.
1942
For the longest time, I had never seen her with her hair any other way. It wasn't until near the end of her life that she cut it and no longer wore it braided and coiled.  I never thought of it as long because, coiled up like it always was, it did not appear to be all that long.
1954
But the coil was quite thick, and the braid went around her head a number of times.  We were visiting once and I saw her in her room brushing it out one evening as she got ready for bed.  I was amazed at how long it was when it was uncoiled and upbraided. It went well down her back, nearly to the seat of the chair she was sitting on. 
1959
That was many, many years ago now.

Then, the other day, we were visiting Heidlebeere.  It was Sunday morning and the kids were getting dressed up for church.  I'm not sure how they settled on the hair style, but her youngest wore her hair braided and coiled around her head.
It reminded me of  my grandmother so much.  It was amazing.  No where near as long, but Grandma had a few years more at it than this little sweetheart.
In many ways, this young lady bears a certain resemblance to a hummingbird.  Getting her to pose for a few pictures is not the easiest thing in the world.  But her Grandma has a certain magic and we got some good pictures.
Its funny how things can bring back memories from so long ago.  This little angel stirred up some pleasant memories for me Sunday.  It was nice.