Sunday, February 3, 2019

Making Lemonade

The other day Brombeere went the store and brought home a bag of apples.  I was a little surprised because she has said in the past that she didn't particularly care for the apples from this store.  So I wasn't terribly surprised when, a few days later, she brought home another bag of apples from a different store, the one she usually buys apples from.  So here's this bag of apples that needed to get used.  She cut up a few of them today and put them on the table for lunch, and ate them with a dip she really likes.  But during lunch she commented that we should help her use the rest of them up so she wouldn't feel guilty eating the others while these she didn't like were still around.

Weeeeeeellllllll, I've been feeling the urge to make something the last little while so I decided to do exactly what she asked; use up some of the apples.  I have several recipes for apple crisp in my personal cookbook so I went looking through them and decided to make the one that is cooked in an instapot.  How can you lose; only eight minutes cooking time!
So I got everything out and got started.
First thing to do is peel and cut up a bunch of apples.  The recipe calls for five cups so I figured at not quite a cup each, five apples would do it.  Then I added a sixth apple because, in my estimation, each apple was not quite a cup and I needed to "fill in the gaps", as it were.  Right?  We're talking five cups of solid apples.  That's how it works, isn't it?
Anyway, That what I was thinking when I started but as the bowl began to fill up I began to wonder if that was right or not.  Anyway, I ended up with a lot of apples.
The recipe is pretty easy, actually.  Put the apples in the pot, melt the butter, mix everything else all together ...
... and then dump the mixture on top of the apples.  Except, at that point, I noticed something I had missed at first.
I hadn't got the instapot recipe, I had accidentally started with the crock pot recipe.  That meant it was going to be a little longer than eight minutes before I was going to be able to enjoy some of this yummy stuff.
But my patience was rewarded and three hours later it was ready.
Apple crisp is best served under the right kind of ice cream.  The chocolate, which could be used in the absence of something better, was actually for Himbeere, who didn't want any crisp. He's funny that way about dessert sometimes. But, then, he's still just a kid.
Brombeere and I were having caramel delight ice cream.
So, after letting the ice cream melt a few minutes, it was ready.  And it was really good!  And, I successfully used almost all of the apples that were left.  A win all around!

1 comment:

misskate said...

Yummmm! An excellent use of all the materials on hand - crockpot, apples and caramel delight ice cream. Well played!