Sunday, April 19, 2020

Fond Memories

The other day we were in Aldi, the grocery store. This grocery store is an off-shoot of a store we used to shop at when I was in Germany, Albrecht's. It's laid out very similar and both stores have expanded their inventory and offerings. But they're still a discount, no frills grocery store. Just the kind of place missionaries like to shop. Anyway, at Aldi's the other day I noticed they had a cookie like we used to get all the time in Germany. Just a different brand. But they're still packaged just like we used to get them in Germany.
We used to get Prinzenrolle, a yummy sandwich cookie. This brand was Doppel Keke, same cookie. So, of course, we had to get a package.
Once out of the package, they look and taste identical. The thing about these cookies that made them so memorable, aside from tasting really, really good, is that we used to use them in our district meetings. In my last city, Herford, Germany, in the northern part of my mission, we had district meeting once a week. We'd use the cookies for scripture chase.  Educational and recreational. Whoever was the first to find the scripture got a cookie. Whoever won the most cookies for the day got the traveling trophy, a toy car.  Heaven forbid that you should come to district meeting without the trophy!
Every few months we would retire the car to the day's winner and get a new car.  There was one car I really liked, and, as luck would have it, I got to retire it. And I still have it.
It's a cute little souped up VW Beetle.  Hot little red car.
Lots of personality. One of my most prized mementos from my mission.  I love that little car, I'm proud of that little car, I used to be pretty good at scripture chase on my mission. Better than when we'd do it in seminary. Lots of happy memories around that little car.   Good times, good times.

1 comment:

misskate said...

Awesome! Now I'll have to check my local Aldi and see if they have that type of cookie.. I don't think I've ever tried them!