Tuesday, December 15, 2020

Multiple Tries

I have this bathroom stool that I got several years ago that I really like. I bought it to be good and sturdy and I use it every day. The grandkids also like it as it makes it so they can reach the sink for washing hands (a good thing) and playing in the water (not such a good thing). Anyway, it has rubber tips on the end of each leg and I noticed a few months ago that one of them had pretty much worn out; it kept falling off.

I didn't want the floor to get damaged so I thought I'd just replace the tip. After all, the rest of the stool was still in real good shape. But then I had to decide how to measure to be sure to get the right size. Do you measure the leg or the tip? Was I looking for an inside measurement, an outside measurement, or something else entirely different? Just how are stool leg tips measured? Who knows. So I took a stab at it and sent off an order.  Alas, when it came, it was too big. Actually, I bought and returned about five of them before finally ending up with the right size. All this was from Amazon so each try involved ordering, waiting, trying, and returning. Very frustrating.
Then just the other day I was walking through one of the local hardware stores, looking for something totally different, when I walked by a display of stool tips. Amazing! I guessed at the size I needed and got it.  But, when I got it home I found it was too big. A familiar feeling. But this time, returning it was very quick and easy.  
The next day I took it back and tried the next size down. Lo, and behold! It was the right size and went right on! And they even came in packages of four! Callooh! Callay! Three cheers for doing it the old fashion way! Good for another several years!

1 comment:

misskate said...

Hooray!! Persistence pays off! Hooray for local hardware stores.. they are the best. Glad your stool will live on!