Friday, January 13, 2023

Comfortable Accessories

The youngest of my eight children is nearing thirty year old. Years ago, when most of my children were learning to drive, we lived in a rural community.  That meant driving a lot of country roads.  Where we worked, where we shopped, where we went to church, they were all 25-30 miles away.  Even where the kids went to school was seven miles away, all mostly on country roads.  And country roads mean more deer.  Yes, we were unable to avoid deer incidents, incidents which occasionally required the services of a collision repair shop. Between that and my children learning to drive, we had our cars in the shop to repair dents and crumpled fenders on several occasions.  We always went to the same shop and always, they would give us a complimentary key ring ornament, which, of course, had the logo of their national affiliation it.  Good advertising, I guess.  Anyway, I saved them and, as one would wear out and break, I would replace it with another. However, we eventually moved into a larger town so our shopping, working, and church going didn't involve so may miles of country roads.  The  kids all got better at driving and we didn't end up at the repair shop near as often; my supply of key tags began to dwindle. But for years I had one of those tags hanging on my key ring.  Well, these many years later, what I thought was the last one finally broke,

It made me sad. I had one of these tags hanging on my key ring for so long I wasn't sure I could recognize the keys as mine without the tag.  Yet there it was, broken.
I spent a few days doing without and then decided to look in my jewelry box, where I had kept all these tags for all these years, just in case there might be one more.
Guess what I found!  Callooh! Callay! One more tag!  Yes, there was another, one more!  Of course, I put it on right away and all was right with the world again.  My pocket felt normal again.  It was a good day.

1 comment:

misskate said...

Funny how such simple things make such a difference. I've got this metal daisy that's been on my keychain since college (I bought a little black purse solely for that keychain..lol) and I've been very happy that it's held up so well (not sure where I'd find another if it were to eventually fall apart)