Sunday, February 8, 2009

Science?

So this is kind of how it went.

Me: Want to try some tapioca?

Maulbeere: What’s that?

Me: It’s kind of like pudding.

Maulbeere: Really?

Me: Yea, only I have to tell you it’s got things in it. Little balls.

Maulbeere: Little balls?

Me: Yea, you drop all these little balls in and cook it. Then you end up with yummy pudding, which you like. And little balls.

Maulbeere: That sounds icky.

Me: No its not. You should try it. The flavor is worth the little balls.

Maulbeere: What's it made of?

Me: Tapioca.

Maulbeere: What's tapioca made of?

Me: It's not made of anything. It’s a basic element; nature's kitchen. End of story.

Maulbeere: Uh-uh.

Me: Yes, ma'm. You look it up. Its right on the Periodic Table; "Ta". Go look.

Maulbeere, coming back with her agenda from school, which has a copy of the Periodic Table in it: Okay, there's a Ta but its "tantalum", not tapioca.

Me: That's its scientific name. You know? Like, you and me, we call them wolves. But their scientific name is Cannis Lupus. Trust me. You’ll like it.

Maulbeere: Suuuuuuuure.

So then the big question is: did she try it? Yes, actually. And she liked the pudding but not the little balls.

4 comments:

Ritsumei said...

I was with you... until the whole elemental thing... dubious looks from this end of things as well. But I could probably be induced to try tapioca pudding. Including the little balls. And if you tell Monkey it's got little balls in it (bouncy balls!) then he'll probably give it a shot too.

Cindy said...

That's funny! Eating little balls doesn't sound any worse than eating "frog eyes" in frog eye salad.

misskate said...

HAHA!!!! Oh yes. That's my dad :)
Reminds me of the time he tried to convince me that in the show "Lassie" that the kids name was Lassie and the dog's name was Timmy..

Dorine said...

That is my husband!! I love him!!