Sunday, July 16, 2017

All About Puzzels

On a recent visit to Heilebeere's home I had the opportunity to be instructed in the fine art of puzzle assembly by a young man who appeared to be very proficient.  He volunteered the instruction and being one always looking to expand my horizons, I took him up on his kind offer.
First, he got all the pieces out and made a pile of them in the work area.  That worked well for the particular puzzle we were using, the pieces where pretty big.  I'm not sure how well it would work with a 1,000 piece puzzle but for today's purpose it worked quite well.
Then, after checking out several different pieces, he selected an edge piece to begin with.  I was encouraged by that as that's normally how I also begin a new puzzle.
We stopped often as he put the pieces together to discuss this aspect or that nuance of puzzle assembly.  It was actually quite interesting to listen to him explain what he was doing as he went along.
He was very good to carefully consider and answer most of my questions as we went along.  Only once or twice did he look at me like I was crazy when I asked a question.  In those cases I didn't press for an answer - I didn't want him to give up on me as hopeless and cut the demonstration short.
He was very good to explain what he was doing at each step of the way.  I learned that corners are very important and, while they can be saved until late in the assembly, they shouldn't be left until the very last.
At last the puzzle was complete.  We were then able to discuss the picture the completed puzzle made and talk about the details of the illustration.  This was a marvelous puzzle.
And then, what do you do with the finished puzzle?  Well, you dance on it.  Of course!  All in all, a very enjoyable and educational experience with my grandson.  Gotta love him!

No comments: