Sunday, September 17, 2017

"I'm Good!"

The other day we were visiting Blaubeere and her family.  Everyone was out in the back yard enjoying the sunshine and nice weather.  I noticed little Peanut was over in the corner of the yard, playing on the swing set, on the high bar.  She was working pretty hard, too.
I watched her struggling to get up on the bar, working pretty hard, as it was.  Then, suddenly, as things were looking pretty precarious, out across the yard, her Mom yelled, "Peanut, are you doing okay?  Need any help?  You good?"
In a sure and confident voice, if not somewhat affected by the strain, came the clear response, "I'm good."
That was all that was said, and on she went, continuing with her struggle.  No intervention, no shouts of caution.  Mama just let her carry on.
This little girl has come so far from the unsteady start she got a few years ago.  I thought that what I saw this afternoon was right on so many levels.  This little girl is fearless.  And she is allowed to be fearless.
It took my mind back to earlier in the day when I had been at home, in my own back yard, watching some birds play in the trees.  I had remembered a quote I'd read some time before:

"A bird sitting in a tree is never afraid of the branch breaking because her trust is not in the branch but in her own wings."

It was a good afternoon.  I was glad I was there.

1 comment:

misskate said...

And look at her smile of triumph after successfully getting up there. Niiiiiice!