Monday, February 25, 2019

Since There's Plenty of Snow ...

We've had a lot of snow in February, a record setting amount of snow.  We just had a storm that left 7.7 inches and that's on top of more than 37 inches we had before that.   I'm not sure what the total is so far but it's got to be getting close to 50 inches. And there's another storm coming that's supposed to leave up to 3 more inches.
We have more snow in the yard than we've had for quite a while.
Our snowfall got off to a slow start this winter but then it really picked up and we're more than caught up now.
So I'm thinking, hey!  Snow makes the best homemade ice cream.  Smooth, creamy, delicious.  I'm not sure what it is, but there's something about snow that makes better ice cream.  Maybe its because it's finer than ice, I don't know.  But it makes much better ice cream.
So there was plenty of snow but we didn't have any heavy cream.  And we couldn't go get any because it was Sunday.  But the internet came to the rescue and I found a substitute that called for ingredients that we did have so it was full steam ahead!
So I threw everything together, found the rock salt, and got the churn going.  As I worked the snow and salt while the thing churned away, I'd look through the lid now and then and see that it wasn't setting up very much.  That was a worry.
But after about half an hour it began to set up and by the time I stopped it at an hour it had set up very nicely.  I was really glad we had an electric churn and that the power was back on.  We had started the day without electricity because of the storm. All that cranking by hand would have been an awful lot of work.
When it was all done I set it out on the back porch to stay cold until we were ready for it.  Some recipes call for setting the ice cream aside to "set", to firm up.  But each time I've made ice cream with this maker it really hasn't needed that. We were just waiting while we finished up getting dinner on the table and eaten.
Then it was dessert, some really yummy blueberry ice cream.  Another success.  I like that! We might have to do this more often!

1 comment:

misskate said...

That's awesome! I've never thought to make ice cream with snow. I bet that fresh, fluffy stuff would make excellent ice cream. A very good way to make use of some excess snow. Yumm!