Saturday, November 25, 2017

Back in the Kitchen Again

A while back I celebrated my 35th anniversary of working for the same company.  The company gives anniversary gifts on each multiple of five and they get nicer and nicer the longer you're with the company.  So at 35 years I had a pretty nice selection, especially since you can also pick from any previous year's offerings.  So I had almost the full catalog.  I picked a Cuisinart food processor.  The other day I finally unpacked it and gave it a try, I made a cabbage dish and discovered that it made chopping cabbage super easy, I fell in love with it. 

So I've been wanting to try making coleslaw again every since discovering how easily it chops cabbage, which I like.  I have tried a few other cabbage dishes in the past, including coleslaw, but chopping the cabbage fine enough is such work that it takes all the fun out of it.  So the other day I went shopping and got all the stuff I needed for Southwestern Coleslaw and today I did it, I made it.
There aren't a lot of ingredients in coleslaw, I got them all out and got started.
I chopped the scallions the old fashion way, that's not hard.  I do it all the time for salad.
I also chopped the bell pepper by hand.  It has been my experience that some food turn to paste when run through a chopper and I didn't want that to happen with the peppers.
Then came the fun part, the cabbage.  It only took about five minutes to do the whole head of cabbage.  Quick and easy.
I also ran the carrots through the chopper, along with the jalapeno pepper. It didn't turn the pepper to paste. That was a good thing. Maybe I could have done the bell peppers.  Ah, well.
So I did all the vegetables and then made the "dressing" separately.  The recipe called for seven cups of cabbage but a whole head of cabbage makes about 11 cups so I increased the dressing about 1.5 times and it worked out pretty well.  Then it all went together, mixing it thoroughly.
Serving Suggestion
I thought it turned out very well. Coleslaw is a very versatile food, it goes well with a lot of other foods.  It goes with seafood; brats, burgers or hot dogs; fried chicken; or a variety of other foods. Its a good picnic food.  I had it for breakfast, with another of my favorite foods.  Yummy stuff.

1 comment:

misskate said...

Thanksgiving coleslaw, huh? Right on! Nice machine, just think of all the fun to come.