Saturday, July 7, 2018

Some Bikey Fun!

One of the things I like to do is find new and interesting places to go for bike rides.  Don't get me wrong, I really enjoy riding around my own community.  But its fun to look at other places and go there for interesting rides, as well.  So a while back I was looking at a town a ways away and noticed it has some island parks within the city limits.  That was promising because it would involve bridges.  I like bridges.  So I tentatively figured out a route and waited for the opportunity to go.
That opportunity arrived on the fourth of July.  I had the day off, nothing else was going on, and the weather was looking pretty nice.  So I decided to make a run for it.
There are actually two islands involved in this ride.  Two separate parks, both of which are islands.
From the online maps you can only tell so much.  That includes the descriptions the communities give of their parks.  So when you go like this you're kind of taking a chance.  As I crossed the first bridge I passed a sign that said the path I was on was not wheelchair accessible.  Did that mean a bike could make it?  Who knows.  I forged ahead.  And a short time later came to a bridge that had a couple of steps.  No big deal, just get off and walk the bike up the steps.  On the other side of the short bridge there was a couple of more steps back down.  So it was only a second and I was on my way again.
Foot paths are usually a little more narrow than a bike path.  This one must have been intended as a foot path but there was no sign saying bikes were prohibited.  So I kept going.
This path was following the outer edge of the island, so it was right on the water.  I did run into a spot where there were a few roots sticking up in the path.  That was a little rough but still okay.
Pretty soon I came to another bridge with a single step up.  Not a problem.
Before long I had been around the entire island and went back on the mainland.
The island was in a river so I took the path along the river, headed for the next island.
This path was a bit wider.  That was nice.  It was also paved.  That was nicer.  I like paved bike paths.
Just before reaching the next island I came to a train crossing.
This made for some pretty nice scenery as the river had cut a little gorge over which the train's bridge crossed.
Another train trestle running nearby the path I was on.
A little father up the river I came to a longer bridge out to the second island.
I rode around that island, too.  That involved crossing the train tracks.
Then it was across another bridge, and back to the mainland.
One of the nice things about these island parks was that they were heavily wood enough that you actually forgot you were in the middle of a city.  Except for every now and then were you could see the town through a break in the trees.
On the way back to where I had left the car I came around a corner in the path and there was a deer feeding at the side of the path.  Sometimes when I come upon deer like this they take off before I can get a picture.  This one was more cooperative.  Maybe it was more used to people, seeing as this was actually in the heart of the town.

All in all, it was a nice little ride.  One of the rides I had hoped to make this summer. Not a long ride, but fun nonetheless.

1 comment:

misskate said...

Sounds cool! You find such fun places :)