Saturday, April 13, 2019

Sugar Cookies are the Best

The other day we were down in the store room looking for some photographs.  We did find them but we also found something else, cookie cutters.  We also had a stash up in the top of the pantry.  It was suggested that they should all be donated, cleared out and gotten rid of.  I suggested that instead of just tossing them we should go through them and see how many duplicates we had.  Surely with as many as we had there must be some duplicates. Maybe we would just get rid of the duplicates.  I didn't really want to get rid of them all, they're used with sugar cookies and sugar cookies are so much fun to make and frost and even more fun to eat.  But anyway, that's kind of where we left it and nothing happened after that for a little while.
So today I decided to go though them and see just what we had.  I pulled out the table and got them all out.
I dumped them all out and and began looking through them.
I began by picking out all the letter shapes.  There were some number shapes, too.  No nine, you can just invert the six for that.  And no zero.  you can just use the letter "O". Only one punctuation shape.  That was a little disappointing.  But what can you do?
Then I sorted out a bunch of emoji cutters we had.  Interesting.  Not sure we'll keep them.  I don't really use emojis in my online communication.  Maybe, maybe not.
Then all the Valentine's Day shapes.  I was surprised at how many of those there were.  Popular holiday for cookies, I guess.
We also have a bunch of Halloween shapes.  Another popular shape.  Give away cookies for treats?  I suppose you could, depending on where it was at.  Door to door I'm not sure they'd go over well.  Have to be careful these days.  But at a church social?  Sure!
We also have lots and lots of Christmas shapes.  Of course!  What better excuse to make cookies than Christmas?  Some people go all out with Christmas baking - why not include cookies?
We also have several Easter themed cutters.  Cute.  Easter, which could also include some spring shapes, like flowers.
Then there were a bunch that were transportation themed.  Except maybe the cowboy hat.  Not sure how it fit in.  Maybe I grouped it wrong.
A few dinosaur shaped cookie cutters.  I have a couple of grandkids that would love to put them to work.
And a few martial arts cutters.  They were part of a set we bought several years back.
Some sports themed shapes.  Not sure how the bone or fish fit in here but that's where I put them.
Then these.  Yeah.  They probably won't survive the purge.
Some teddy bears.  Everybody likes teddy bears, right?
And the miscellaneous shapes.  Some of these could have gone into some of the previous groupings.  Like the shirt?  That was from an "ugly sweater" kit we bought once.  That's kind of a Christmas theme, right?  Or at least winter.  Maybe those two "J's"are actually supposed to be candy canes and should also be with the Christmas shapes. And the round one could be the sun, so maybe it should have been with the Easter shapes.  But since there was also a moon I put them both here.  And the star could have been Christmas but since it has six points I didn't think it really fit.  You could get into the whole Jewish question but we won't go there.
And then there were some sets that obviously went together.  Shapes meant to be used together.  Like these star shapes?  We make Christmas trees with them.  Stack the cookies all up, stick them together with green frosting, and put sprinkles on to make wonderful Christmas trees.  I suppose those might have gone with the Christmas shapes but since we have these other sets I made them a category of their own.
And then Brombeere's favorite, a little frog.  Yeah, she likes frogs.  In a class by itself!
In the end I don't think we're going to get rid of very many.  I bagged them all up by groups and stuck them in a big tote that would hold them all and took them back down to the store room.  Its a clear tote so it will be easy to find next time we want to make sugar cookies (I hope).  We have a number of kitchen things down there that we don't use real often.  If we keep them all more or less together maybe we'll be able to keep track of them and actually use them from time to time.  So it was a good exercise.  And I feel good about keeping most of them.  After all, sugar cookies are pretty much the best kind of cookie there are.

1 comment:

Dorine said...

Crazy the amount of these we have collected!! To be fair, some of them have been donated to us when our children have moved out! So....if anyone needs a particular cookie cutter, there is a good chance we have one you could borrow!!