Tuesday, March 5, 2019

There Will be Bacon

The other day I was rooting around in the back of the fridge looking for something when I stumbled across a head of red cabbage hiding back there.  I'm not sure if I'd just forgotten about it or if I hadn't realized we had it.  In any case, it was unexpected.

Well, I couldn't just leave it there; it was already looking pretty aged for a cabbage.  And I had a recipe for a really yummy side dish I had come to really like when I was in Germany, years ago.  The Germans called it rotkohl, red cabbage.  But there's more to it that just cabbage.  Anyway, I pulled out my recipe and made a quick check to see if I had all the ingredients.  I did!  Well, all but one.  We didn't have any bacon. Still, I decided to go with what I had.
Another job made easy by my Cuisinart.  Cabbage, onion, and apple, all chopped up quite nicely in just a few minutes.
Pretty soon everything was in the pot simmering.
It didn't take long before it was ready.  Some recipes involve a steam cooker, or you could do it with a slow cooker.  Or even an instapot.  But I think just letting it all simmer in a pot on the stove works just as well and is a whole lot simpler.
The rest of dinner was left-overs.  Yeah, I know spaghetti and rotkohl don't necessarily present well together.  But it was pretty good.  And the rotkohl turned out really well, even without the bacon.  Of course, next time there will be bacon.

No comments: