Tuesday, June 19, 2018

A Fun Birthday

It was Himbeere's birthday and we decided to go all out, or at least a little ways out, and grill some steaks.  That meant we first had to dig the grill out.  I don't think we grilled even once last year.  So it was all covered and buried under all the other junk that got piled just outside the garage because the garage spent the last year or so stuffed clear full of our kids' junk.
So first I had to locate the grill.  Then I had to move all the stuff that was piled on and around it.  It looked worse than it actually turned out to be.
Once I got the stuff moved away and the cover off, I had to clean off cobwebs and other stuff.  Then I  opened up the grill.  That was not encouraging.
It looked pretty dismal.  I was not encouraged.  I wasn't sure I'd even be able to get it lit, even though I knew there was plenty of propane in the tank.  After all, I knew I had refilled the tank shortly before the end of summer the last time we used it.  But after finding a wire brush and giving the whole thing a real good going over, I turned the dials to the right position and hit the lighter.  Lo, and behold, it fired right up!  Amazing!
We had gone to a meat market and got some nice steaks.  We had a coupon so it hadn't really cost us $19.  More like six cents.  Yeah, good meat is expensive.  Good thing we had a good coupon. Otherwise it might have been just burgers.
So Brombeere spiced it up and used the meat tenderizer.  Yes, she beat on the steaks a while and got them all tender and ready.
Then they went on the grill, which was all warmed and ready by then.
As they cooked they got close supervision from a four legged fellow who made sure to stay close by. He initially tried to act disinterested.
But you could tell he really was very much interested.
I left it to Schwartzbeere to determine when the right moment arrived to take the steaks off the grill. Actually, they turned out pretty good, I thought. Schwartzbeere is good that way.
After the steaks we brought out the traditional birthday cake. Well, not quite traditional. It was a double thick brownie "cake." That also was very yummy.
With the candles lit it presented a small fire hazard but Himbeere remained calm.
Rather than expend his precious breath putting out the fire he got a piece of paper and waved it over the flames which actually worked quite well to put them out.
Cake and ice cream - chocolate, chocolate, and more chocolate.
Then came the gifts.
He had fun with it - actually smiled a bit.
Then he set into the serious business of opening the presents.
Paper went flying ...
... out came the goodies ...
... and when it was all over he was worn out by the exertion.
Nothing left but the wreckage.
And thus Himbeere arrived at the grand old age of twenty-five. A quarter century old. Truly a milestone worth celebrating. And it was a good time. Happy birthday, Himbeere!

1 comment:

misskate said...

Yummy!! It looks like a fun time :) Yay birthdays!