Monday, June 11, 2018

At Long Last, I May Have Found it

I have been looking for a coleslaw recipe I liked for a long time.  I tried several recipes but chopping all that cabbage by hand can be a lot of work so the quest sort of fell by the wayside for a while.  But then last summer I got a new kitchen tool and the quest resumed.  While the coleslaw I made that day turned out pretty good, and it also showed me that with this new tool making chopped cabbage dishes is no work at all. That particular coleslaw recipe I tried billed itself as "southwestern coleslaw".  It was good for what it was but it wasn't the coleslaw recipe I have been searching for.

The Internet and social media is a rabbit hole you can get lost in for a long time, if you're not careful.  But its also a great place to find almost anything you want in the way of information.  So I kept watching and collecting recipes for coleslaw.  Several weeks after the go-around with the southwestern coleslaw I tried a different recipe.  This one said it was supposed to be the recipe for Chic-Fil-A coleslaw so I thought maybe it would be worth a try.  That, even though I've never eaten at Chic-Fil-A.  Well, it turned out to be pretty darn okay!   So today I had a head of cabbage in the back of the refrigerator that was starting to get pretty old and, knowing that age doesn't do for cabbage what it does for cheese and certain other foods, I decided to see if the Chic-Fil-A recipe really was all that good, see if I could reproduce the same or similar results.
I got everything out and got started.  There really isn't that much in this recipe, it strikes me as pretty basic.
The recipe says to make the sauce first, everything that doesn't have to be chopped, so I did that.  Then I set it aside while I got to chopping everything else.
Unlike the southwestern coleslaw, "everything else" really is only cabbage, carrots, and an onion.
I usually run the carrots and onions through as I do the cabbage since its all going to end up mixed into the same bowl anyway.
When you do a whole head of cabbage you end up with a little more than what the recipe calls for so I have to up the amounts of everything else a little.  This time I did everything for the sauce half again what the recipe called for.  Then, if it still doesn't look moist enough, I add a little plain yogurt until it looks right.
Then you stir it up real good and stick it in the fridge to cool a couple of hours.  I imagine that also helps the flavors blend together better.
Anyway, when it was all done and cooled as directed, it turned out pretty good!  I think I'm going to have to keep this recipe and use it some more.  Coleslaw is good stuff!

1 comment:

misskate said...

Hooray for finding a winner! (Somebody has to like the stuff) 😋