Saturday, June 9, 2018

Commonplace Book

A Commonplace Book. “Commonplace”, from the Latin 'locus communis', meaning “a theme or argument of general application.”  For me, it is a collection of thoughts, ideas, anecdotes, poems, observations, and quotes that stood out and caught my attention, some with comment, some without. Essentially a scrapbook, a repository of thoughts too good to just pass over and let go.



“Life is all about how we handle Plan B.” Anonymous
Patient “Why did the ER call it a retinal break?”
Doctor: “Next time you have an eye emergency see an eye doctor.”
“Ever busily winding the golden thread that bound them all together, weaving the service of her happy influence through the tissue of all their lives, …”
Charles Dickens, The Tale Two Cities

How well this could be said of the dear woman I've been fortunate enough to be married to all these years; she is the magic that holds us all together. 
“Sometimes people are like turkeys when they go to church. They’re taught to fly and then they walk home.” A Comment Made by a Bishop during Ward Council
It is not enough to be busy. So are the ants. The question is: What are we busy about? (Henry David Thoreau)
Maimonides’ axiom: It is natural to be influenced in character and conduct by your friends and associates, and to follow the fashions of your fellow citizens. Therefore, one ought to ensure that your friends are virtuous and that you frequent the company of the wise so that you learn from the way they live, and that you keep a distance from bad company.
“President Heber J. Grant put it in context when he said: “Prosperity comes to those who observe the law of tithing. When I say prosperity I am not thinking of it in terms of dollars and cents alone. … What I count as real prosperity … is the growth in a knowledge of God, and in a testimony, and in the power to live the gospel and to inspire our families to do the same. That is prosperity of the truest kind.”

Sister Yaeko Seki experienced part of this precious promise. She writes: “I was pregnant with our fourth child and was feeling rather tired, so I lay down under the trees. … I began thinking about our financial problems. My heart became overwhelmed, and I burst into tears. ‘Lord, we are full-tithe payers. We have sacrificed so much. When will the windows of heaven open unto us and our burdens be lightened?’

“I prayed with all my heart. Then I turned to watch my husband and children playing and laughing together. … Suddenly, the Spirit testified to me that my blessings were abundant and that my family was the greatest blessing Heavenly Father could give me.”
(James E Faust, of the Quorum of the Twelve, October Conference 1998. Quoting Pres Heber J Grant and Yaeko Seki.) 
“We oftentimes believe, “I’m going to have this perfect understanding, and then I’m going to transform that into what I do.” I would suggest that we have enough to get started. We have a sense of the right direction. Faith is a principle—the principle—of action and of power. True faith is focused in and on the Lord Jesus Christ and always leads to action.”
(David A Bednar, “Seek Learning by Faith” [address to Church Educational System religious educators, Feb. 3, 2006]) 
“When the Lord wants to change the world, he doesn’t send armies or use powerful groups.
“When it was time to lead the children of Israel from Egyptian bondage, the Lord didn’t send an army; he sent a baby boy to a Levite home. This baby boy was later to be known as Moses, whom we know as the great lawgiver and the one who delivered the children of Israel from bondage.
“In the meridian of time, the Father sent his own Son to be born of a virgin mother in a lowly manger. The whole world was affected by his brief life’s mission, and he still remains the only hope of mankind, here and hereafter.
“When it was time to restore his gospel to prepare the world for the second coming of his Son, he again sent a baby boy to the home of a righteous father and mother.”
Rex C Reeve, of the Quorum of the Seventy, October Conference 1985

When the Lord needed a great work done he sent a baby. But first He placed a great woman to be that baby's mother. 
“I think there’s been a trend toward higher expectations of teachers, instead of saying that it’s the child’s responsibility to learn and be successful. I have a hard time with that. I always tried to teach my children that you’re responsible for your learning, and you’re going to have teachers that are really entertaining and you’re going to have some that are boring, but what you get out of it is what you put into it.”
Anne H Zachry, author. “Retro Baby”, “Retro Toddler”, published by the American Academy of Pediatrics 
“No one knows precisely how strong winds in the strongest tornadoes are. That's because the strongest tornadoes have always destroyed wind measuring equipment.”
Gannet Publishing, 5/4/2018 
"There is a phenomenon known as “helper's high” which refers to the lift people get from knowing that they're really making a difference in someone else's life.”
The Power of Vitality 
"When sore trials come, you will learn why the Holy Ghost is called the Comforter."
(Boyd K Packer, of the Quorum of the Twelve, October Conference 1994)
“Think of what you possess not as something you own but as something you hold in trust for the benefit, not only of you and your family, but also of others. In life, ask not, “what can I gain?” But “what can I give?” You will travel more lightly and with greater joy. You will enhance the lives of others. You will feel that your life has been worthwhile.  [W]hen it comes to giving, scale does not matter. Be a blessing to others and you will find that life has been a blessing to you.”
Rabbi Jonathan Sacks, Behar-Bechukotai 5778

1 comment: